The Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development (DOTD) is in
charge of the state’s infrastructure needs and promoting safety
on roadways and highways. As part of its continual work, it collects information
regarding the most dangerous intersections per city. If you live in Lafayette,
especially south of the 10, you should review this list of the top ten
most dangerous intersections, which was compiled with three years’
worth of data.
1. Ambassador Caffery at Kaliste Saloom: 154 crashes
2. Ambassador Caffery at Johnston Street: 148 crashes
3. Pinhook at Kaliste Saloom: 145 crashes
4. Johnston Street at South College: 143 crashes
5. Johnston Street at Camellia Boulevard: 130 crashes
6. Evangeline Thruway at Louisiana Avenue: 119 crashes
7. Evangeline Thruway at Mudd Avenue: 100 crashes
8. US 90 at Ambassador Caffery: 98 crashes
9. Evangeline Thruway at Willow Street: 96 crashes
10. US 90 at Albertson’s Parkway: 94 crashes
If you must travel through any of these intersections on a regular basis,
please exercise caution and drive responsibly. Paying attention to the
road and traffic patterns at these locations could prevent yet another
What is Causing So Many Collisions?
The worst offender – Ambassador Caffery at Kaliste Saloom –
sees, on average, one car accident a week. What is going on to cause such
Lafayette Police Department officials state that most of these collisions
are caused by people making left turns on red lights. With the Centers
for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimating that 25% or more of
car accidents are caused by cellphone use, it is likely that
distracted drivers are failing to look up from their smartphone screens at an increasing,
or at least steady, rate. It is also worth noting that when these intersections
are pinned on a map, most of them fall alone major highway off- and onramps.
As logic would dictate, the more drivers in an area, the more likely there
is to be an accident.
If you have been struck by a negligent driver, let Duck Law Firm, LLC help
you fight back. We can explain your rights and legal options during a
free initial case review. All you need to do is dial
337.660.2699 to connect with our Lafayette car accident attorney today.